Friday, May 6, 2011

So Frustrating

Bella did not sleep last night.  We have no idea why.  She wasn't upset or in pain, just talking and talking and talking away until the wee hours of the morning.  At some point around 2am, we finally just turned the monitor off so we could get better sleep.  And she did fall asleep eventually, but we don't know when.
Of course I had a doctors appointment early this morning, so neither I nor Bella could sleep in.  I woke her at the last minute, threw clothes on her and put her directly into the car seat and off we went.  I figured she might be  in a bad mood, but she was actually in a pretty good mood and ate her breakfast as we were in the doctors office.
So I thought I would push my luck.  You see I have three different grocery stores I wanted to stop into this week.  Normally we do not take Bella to the grocery store by ourselves, but I didn't have any large items to get, so I thought we could at least get one knocked off, since it was on our way home.  So we stopped at the store, and back into her kidkart Bella went.  She actually did really good in the store.  She was talking the whole time.  I gave her one of her yogurts to hold onto on her tray (yogurt is of course her favorite and I'm pretty sure she knows what the containers look like when we get them out of the fridge to make her meal), so she actually had her hand on the yogurt container the whole time, which made me laugh.  I on the other hand had things under her cart, on her tray, and a really heavy basket I was carrying around.  Good thing they had drive up to pick all the groceries up.
Since that trip went so well, and we were going to be passing one more of the stores on our way home, I thought I would push my luck even more.  This store I only needed 3 items, so I grabbed Bella and put her in a regular grocery cart (these items were going to be a little heavier).  Apparently at this point Bella had her fill of grocery stores, and would not support herself in the slightest.  I was trying my best to support her, keep her straight, and grab the things I needed.  By the time we made it to pay, I could barely get the items on the checkout counter.  Then the best part came when I was trying to dig out a coupon and my credit card to pay. I had to let go of Bella to accomplish this, and she immediately fell over and conked her head good on the counter.  I think the checkout guy was about to call me in for child abuse at this point.
And I was very frustrated with her.  I know she was probably tired from not sleeping last night, but sometimes it's so frustrating that she won't do the things she is capable of.  She has gone in the front of grocery carts before.  She isn't completely stable, but she does well enough that as long as your trip is 30 minutes or less, she will support herself with a little correction from me periodically.  It isn't the prettiest sight, but it works in a pinch.  But today you would have thought she was a rag doll.  And for some reason to her bumping her head (she probably did it a total of 6 times, the last at the checkout being the worst) was better than using a little bit of muscle to help stabilize herself.
It times like these you wonder if she will ever actually make progress and stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment