Thursday, October 1, 2009

I am the child who can not talk

What does it mean when your child is non-verbal? Well I would say that Bella is non-verbal at this point. She makes noises, she realizes she makes noises, she recognizes that if she is in a room by herself she has to make louder noises for us to hear her. But her noises are all the same. She has happy noises and sad noises, but other than that, we don't know what she is saying.
Take last night, Bella was tired all day long, and when we made it home from pre-school she was fussy and making lots of noises that we know mean something is wrong. But it's a huge guessing game to know what is wrong.
We tried feeding her, multiple times, we tried giving her something to drink. We tried gas drops, we gave her a bath, we tried ear drops, we tried orajel for her teeth, and lastly we tried her night bottle with Benedryl.
Well after the night bottle, she finally went "bm" and wasn't fussing anymore. But after all that we tried, we really have no idea which was the answer. If I had to "guess" I would say it was the gas drops and the relief of her having finally gone to the bathroom. But we don't know, and it looks like we might never know.
So what happens when she gets older and her list of problems can be greater? I would be happy with having her learn to point to what bothers her, but I don't know if she even knows what it is.

I am the Child
Author unknown
I am the child who cannot talk.
You often pity me: O see it in your eyes.
You wonder how much I am aware of .... I see that as well.
I am aware of much.... whether you are happy or sad or fearful, patient or impatient, full of love and desire, or are just doing your duty by me.
I marvel at your frustration, knowing mine to be far greater for I cannot express myself nor my needs as you do.
You cannot conceive my isolation, so complete it is at times.
I do not gift you with clever conversation, cute remarks to be laughed over and repeated,I do not give you answers to your everyday questions, responses over my well-being, sharing my needs, or comments about the world around me.
I do not give you rewards as defined by the world's standards.... great strides in developments that you can credit yourself;I do not give you understanding as you know it,What I give you is so much more valuable..... I give you instead opportunities.
Opportunities to discover the depth of your character, not mine; the depth of your love, your commitment, your patience, your abilities;the opportunity to explore your spirit more deeply than you imagined possible.
I drive you further than you would ever go on your own, working harder, seeking answers to your many questions, creating questions with no answers.
I am the child who cannot talk.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post . . . thanks so much for sharing! It was so touching.
    All our best,
    Kim, Jon, Branden & Caserra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a powerful...and emotional...poem, Kristen! Hopefully, one day, Bella will talk, though, and surprise us all!

    ReplyDelete