Monday, June 30, 2014

Why… and then some

I think it’s been a while since both of us posted, but for sure me (Jesse), so since I’m up dealing with gall bladder issues cause I ate too much for dinner (you’d think I’d fricken learn)… I’m sitting here thinking about a conversation I had this evening with a little girl that will be in Bella’s class this coming fall.

Our neighbors hosted a family activity this Sunday evening with water slide, trampoline, BBQ, etc so all the the neighbors with kids could get to know one another.  We don’t have the luxury of having a community pool for everyone to meet at, so it was a great idea.  We headed over once we convinced Oliver to get up from his nap and that a water slide was awaiting him.  We showed up in typical fashion with Bella in her stroller and Oliver in the wagon and all the additional gear… chairs, cooler, food, etc.

We met a bunch of new neighbors and it will be nice to hopefully get to know them more, especially the ones who will have kids going to school with ours.  One particular conversation is what I plan to reflect on this evening. 

Ella is six and will be in Bella’s class this fall.  Her family of 5 will be moving into the neighborhood once they finish gutting and rebuilding the house they bought… they did it the smart way… don’t move in until its all finished.  Ohh well. 

Having conversations with kids is always interesting and this one was the best yet.  Ella immediately took interest in Bella and came over closer to her and wondered why she was in a stroller. 

“Why is she in that stroller?” she asked.  “Because her legs don’t work”, I responded.  “Why don’t her legs work?”  “Because she was born that way.”  Later she inquired “Can she talk?”… “Nope, can’t talk either but you are welcome to talk to her if you would like to.”  And so she did after her Grandma and Mom convinced her it would be a good idea… its tough for kids to take and keep an interest in Bella, because once they realize it’s a one-sided conversation, they usually move on.  But Ella was still interested.  It wasn’t that conversation, but one that I had with Ella later on over by the trampoline that really got to me… and still does.  Oliver was playing on the trampoline with a friend he’d met so I pulled Bella from the stroller to head over by the trampoline for a bit.  Ella wasn’t over there immediately, but came over after she saw Bella and I were there. 

I was in the process of spinning Bella around and around, as she laughed and held out her tongue in her upside-down typical Bella fashion.  “Does she like that?” asked Ella.  “You bet… do you see her laughing?” I asked.  “She likes to be spun around and tossed in the air… do you?” I followed up.  “Yeah, can she go down the water slide?”… “Not unless I hold her and go down with her.” I told her.  “Ohh, so when do you think she can?” she asked.  “I don’t know.”  “Hopefully her legs will work someday.” she said… “I do too, someday I hope.” I responded.  And then Ella said something I will never forget and it just tears me up thinking about it… “Maybe when she dies God will make her legs work.” and she ran off to go to the water slide.

There’s a few things I’d like to follow up on… one being the fact that Bella will have someone in her class this coming fall that clearly is interested in her and will hopefully be that kid that sticks up for her over the years when others poke fun… cause it will happen.  Being in the Blue Valley school district has been absolutely a blessing, and this is yet another example.  Another being that she actually referenced God… it seems more often than not everyone (adults more so) are so afraid to offend others by referencing their own religious beliefs, that they don’t speak for what they truly believe.  Kids don’t have that influence from society yet, and it’s just pure,honest, and beautiful.  And lastly… I sure wish God would have made her legs work here on earth, but for whatever reason he didn’t and I try not to be mad at Him for it… but if he doesn’t make her legs work in heaven, I’m going to have a beef with Him for sure.  Goodnight sweet angel, Bella.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post Jesse! Sounds like a great new friend for Bella - so glad you shared :)

    ReplyDelete