Monday, November 15, 2010

Rehab Clinic

We did have an interesting time at our rehab clinic appointment a couple of weeks ago.
The clinics at Children's Mercy are always long.  If it isn't a really long wait because of the number of people, then it's just a long wait because everything seems to take forever.  But needless to say an appointment that would take a normal person less than an hour can take us up to 4 hours.  And I am not exaggerating.  And this appointment was one of them.
In the waiting room there were two other families.  One of the families had 3 young girls with them.  Right at the start the mom started asking me questions about Bella's cart and if I minded answering questions about Bella herself.  I didn't mind, and in fact I would rather have people ask me questions about Bella.   I don't mind talking about what makes Bella - Bella.  The hard part for me is when I'm not with Bella and people ask me if I have any kids. And ask how old they are.  I will say I have a three year old.  And then they go on and on about what a three year old is like.  How it might be worse than the terrible twos, how they hold such interesting conversations, and run around everywhere.  I usually don't want to insult them, so I just nod my head and smile.  Not really saying anything to add to their conversation, but also not saying that my child can't do any of those things.
As we were still waiting in the room, the 3 little girls came over.  They were also very curious about Bella and asking questions.  Again the mother asked if I minded.  The first question was "Why is she like that?"  To which I answered that she was born that way.  Then she asked me "How was she born?"  To which I laughed and said I would let her mom cover that one.  They touched her cart and her hair, claiming she had beautiful curly hair.  It's always interesting to see how kids react to Bella.  I think in general most kids are curious and I think it's good to let them be curious and ask questions.  The more they know about things now, the less likely they will be scared or prejudice later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment