Thursday, June 2, 2011

Craigslist

I love the idea of craigslist.  In fact I have vowed to not buy new furniture again.....for the most part.  It all started when I bought this buffet table and refinished it.
We have also had good luck selling things on craigslist, which I feel good about not sending items to the landfills.  Granted you meet some interesting people when buying and selling.

This recent purchase we made for the nursery might be a little bit of a bust.  I overpaid for it in the first place, $50 for something that I needed to restain or paint seems a little pricey as it's a pretty small dresser/changing table.  Then when I got it home and learned one of the drawers was busted and now we are going to have to figure out how to fix it, I really overpaid for it.
I like how people will post "great condition, everything works well", "solid wood", etc and it's not true.  
I know it's partly my fault which is the reason I am writing this post.  If you are like me and buy things off craigslist, make sure you try them, all the pieces and parts before you hand over money.


Some other more successful items we have purchased include this entry table.  Which is the next goal to get organized after the nursery is finished.  Can't believe how much mail and junk piles up so quickly!
This desk which I use as my sewing table and provides plenty of storage for all my sewing related items.
I bought an antique bedside table for Bella's room.  This one was a little pricey at $30, but it is antique, the correct color for the room, and the drawer functions, so I still call it a success.
We bought a new swing for the baby, as the one we had bought previously got torn apart to use in the bike cart for Bella.  This was another pricier item, but at less than half the price of a new one and in good shape, as long as it works for as long as we need it, it was still a good deal.
The bargain buy had to be this end table for our sitting room, which cost only $5.  I want to refinish it someday, as it's a little too varnished for my taste.  But it still looks good enough as is, that it can be in the room before I get around to it.
And about that changing table.  After all is said and done, it should still be an alright deal.  If you went to the store and spent $50 you would get something like this (actually price of this item is $70):
And if you wanted something similar to the changing table we purchased it's cost new would have been $150 or more.  So in the end, we didn't do too bad, but we could have done a lot better.

**The changing table is currently being refinished, final picture to come shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment