Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Jam

I don’t feel like I have the time to cook/bake much around here.  But every once in awhile I will see something that I want to try, and then if the moons align, I actually get the time to make it.

This spring we are starting to lay out our garden, which had me doing a little research on layouts, what to grow, etc.  I stumbled upon a blog that was all about preserving, and being that I seen a box of pears on sale at the grocery store that week, and a pear jam recipe on the blog, I really wanted to try it.

007043

I made it to the grocery store and picked up a carton of pears.  Except these were teeny tiny pears.  That’s a paring knife (one of the smallest knife’s) next to the pear, to show it's small size.  Because the pears were so small, I had to peel and chop a lot of pears.

064

The jam turned out delicious.  It was a little chunkier than I expected, but I guess it all depended on how small I diced it up in the first place.  I only got 3 small jars out of the process, and this one in the picture is our last one.  You can tell it’s been a big hit around here, since I didn’t make it that long ago.

I’m excited to try other jam flavors, so as soon as I see fruit on sale, I’ll be picking some up and seeing what else I can create.  And the great thing about making homemade jam, I got to control the amount of sugar that I put in it, and needless to say, I didn’t add much, and it still tastes great.

If you are interested in the blog it’s called Saving the Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment