Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TV Shows

Most times when watching tv shows, whether they are sitcoms or dramas, I don't usually think they represent real life very well.  Recently I have started to watch the show "Parenthood".  I don't know if anyone else watches this particular show, but one of the couples have a son who they have just found out has autism.  I don't have any real experience with autistic children myself, but I understand the struggle this family goes through.  In fact in almost every episode it makes me tear up, because I get it, the issues/problems may not be exactly the same ones Bella goes through, but the way it makes us feel as parents is the same.

I remember in particular last week, the parents attended a support group for others like themselves, and one of the mothers said. "My husband goes off to work every morning and doesn't come home until dinner time or later.  I am the one who deals with our son, and don't get me wrong I love him, but sometimes I feel like I am on an island all by myself, with a son who doesn't feel my emotions or react to what I am doing, it's very lonely."

I get that.  And when people wonder why I chose to go back to work, that is part of the reasoning.  I know that Bella can benefit from me being home.  But she can also benefit from being out in the world reacting with other people, in school, and at the babysitters.  And in that way, we can get off of the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment