Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Too many things = no good

I finally opened a jar of my homemade pickles, and am happy to report that they taste great.  You just have to get past the bright yellow color.  I have no idea why they are not green.  Maybe it's because I didn't use pickling cucumbers, but they taste just like you would get them from the grocery store.  So I call it a success.
And since it was a success, I moved on to the second recipe I wanted to do, which was a tomato basil pasta sauce.  I should mention that before I decided to undertake the sauce, I had already made homemade pizza dough, and worked out for the day.  This all fits in to the story later.  So I started on the recipe.  Now I didn't have 25 tomatoes needed to make a full batch, so I did 13 tomatoes for a half batch.
I didn't read until I had already started boiling the tomatoes, that it needed to boil for 80 minutes.  Umm, didn't realize it was that time consuming.  I started to get the big pot ready, as I was going to be making 3 pints of sauce.  Then since I had time to spare, I decided to go sneak in a quick shower before Bella got up from her nap.

And when I got out of the shower I smelled a strong burning smell.  I ran downstairs and looked in my pot.  Most of the tomatoes were burnt, and this small half cup of tomato paste was all I could save.  It was depressing to realize I had ruined 13 tomatoes....what a waste.
So it was time to start making the pizzas. The problem with home made dough, is you have to make it when it's ready, it's kind of a time management nightmare.  And nightmare is the correct wording, because I decided to try grilling the pizzas on the grill for the first time.  I had absolutely no idea how to do it, but I thought since you needed the oven to be 500 degrees to bake the pizzas you could use the same temperature on the grill.  I was wrong.......burnt wrong.

The dough makes enough for 3 pizzas, so luckily I was able to save the next two from being so burnt.  I figured out if you put a piece of aluminum foil underneath the pizza it still gives it grill marks, but doesn't burn so badly.

Oh and the tomato sauce I made that was supposed to be enough for 3 jars, ended up covering only 2 pizzas.  But it was good.  Live and learn.
At least Bella was having a good time watching crazy mommy all over the place trying to save last nights dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment