Wednesday, December 21, 2011

3am

Do you ever have those days that you wake up at 3am and get up for the day.  Not on a day that you are doing something exciting, like say taking a trip and heading to the airport.  But on a day that both kids are up crying and you have so much to do you figure you might as well get up.  Well that's what happened....to Jesse I mean.
We are trying to get Oliver to sleep through the night, but he has it stuck in his wiring that he needs to be up after 6 hours.  This was fine when he was taking a full feeding and immediately falling back asleep.  But recently he hasn't been taking his whole bottle, and he sometimes still cries himself to sleep after he has eaten.  So we talked it over and decided we would let him cry for 10 minutes and see if in that time he could get himself back to sleep.  Fast forward 6 hours (3am) and who is up crying, why it's Bella.  And who starts crying 10 minutes later, why it's Oliver.
We can't figure out why Bella is crying, she doesn't want water, and nothing seems to be that wrong with her.  Oliver of course is now just awake and fussing off and on.  This goes on for 45 minutes with the both of them crying off and on.  Jesse decides to get up and get ready for work, since sleep doesn't seem to be in the cards. During this time I had checked on both of them, Bella seemed like she might fall back asleep and Oliver was playing with his aquarium.  He would turn it off and on with his hand, he must have played with it for 30 minutes.  After which time he really starts crying (and here is where the 10 minute time frame comes into play).  So he cries for 8 minutes straight and then takes a minute break.  I sneak into his room to see if he is close to going back to sleep.  And the real story is.  Oliver cries for 30 seconds, and immediately when he takes a break, puts his head down and closes his eyes, Bella screams from her room, and he immediately pops his head back up and cries again.  Now Bella isn't screaming in pain, or crying, I literally think she is screaming to get his attention and trying to talk to him.  But all Oliver hears when he is quiet is screaming, so he cries.  This goes on for a few minutes, and I finally figure out this is all pointless.  So I go and make Oliver a bottle.
It's now 4am (Jesse is getting ready for work) and Oliver eats and goes back to sleep.  Bella isn't yelling anymore since Oliver has stopped crying, but she is still talking to herself.
4:15am, Jesse leaves for work and I try to go back to sleep.  Bella is still up and making noise.  5am, I bring Bella into bed with me.  It's near 6am, and Bella finally falls asleep and I think I do too.  Between 6am and 7am, Bella is crying/fussing while she sleeps.  I'm not sure if she is in pain or having bad dreams.  It isn't constant but probably every 10 minutes or so.  6:50am, Oliver is up crying at the top of his lungs.  I grab him and bring him into bed, Bella fully wakes up and is smiling at Oliver (so I'm leaning towards she was having bad dreams lat night).  7am, we all go downstairs and start our day, which if you think about it, I didn't get much more sleep than Jesse, so I probably should have just gotten up and done things around the house.  I easily have plenty to keep me busy.
Now it's a little after 9pm, everyone else has gone to bed, and I'm trying to stay awake long enough to go and give Oliver another feeding before I go to bed and hope and pray we last a little bit longer than 3am this morning!
And if you made it through my complete set of rambling, this might have been the most boring post ever...I give you a delirious Bella and her tickling daddy (in a very darkly lit room, sorry for the bad video quality).


No comments:

Post a Comment