Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Where everybody knows your name

Bella was up for a ridiculously long amount of time during the night on Sunday night into Monday morning (from 11pm till 5am).  So I wasn’t about to wake her up for school at 7:30am like I normally would, instead once she was up, Oliver and I took her to school.  This is important to know, because I had to call and cancel her bus for the morning.

This morning Bella woke up crying at 4:30 am.  No matter what I did, she still kept crying.  After a few minutes I transferred her to Jesse and went downstairs to get some medicine.  She felt warm to me.  Sure enough when we got around to taking her temperature, it was at 102 degrees.  After she got her meds she went to sleep in Jesse’s arms and then was able to be transferred to our bed.  So again this morning I wasn’t going to wake her for school.  And even though I am pretty sure this is all teething related, you are not supposed to send a child to school with a fever, so I decided to keep her home.

And here is where I think it gets pathetic.

I called the bus service phone line.  The same bus company that services the students in our school district from preschool until high school, the same school district that has 20,000 students in over 34 schools (I just looked this up to prove a point).  Now of course all 20,000 students do not ride the bus, but let’s just say 2,000 of them do. 

When I called the morning and said “My daughter is sick today and will not need her bus.”

The reply was “Oh Isabelle…bus 303?”

“Yes….yes it is.”

I’m guessing the women on the phone recognized my voice because I have had to call in a lot over this past year for Bella when she is sick.  Or maybe most people don’t call in.  I don’t know, but regardless….it just tells you what kind of year we have had, if the bus company recognizes my voice to cancel their service.  It also pains me to know that 2 different pharmacists know me and my family by name because we have to pick up medicine far too often.

I often feel that people don’t believe me anymore or feel that I must be exaggerating when I talk about Bella’s sickness.  There isn’t any real diagnosis….except that she is always in pain, fighting fevers, battling the unknown, and in general just crying and fussy both day and night.  And maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if I was looking at from the outside.  But after dealing with the same thing for over 3 years (this is generally when she started teething in regards to her molars), I just can’t take any of it anymore.  A couple hours of fussing or crying from Bella can absolutely ruin my whole outlook on the day. 

I could probably go on about this topic forever….because let’s face it, I’m stuck in the middle of it and don’t see a way out.  There is no cure for teething that takes a year per tooth.  I’ve asked, I’ve begged, I’ve suggested surgery to get them out.  There is nothing that can be done.

This is both Bella’s and my (pardon my word here) personal hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment