Monday, August 30, 2010

Lots of work with no gain

First I have to show you my DIY mishap, except I'm not exactly sure how I got this very large bruise on my arm.  I believe it came from unloading and carrying the 14 foot ladder we rented the other weekend.  It looked bad, but didn't hurt much, until I made the unfortunate mistake of landing the edge of a 5 gallon bucket of paint right in the middle of it.  Now it's raised up, still ugly looking, and hurts at the slightest touch.  Here's hoping it goes away sometime soon.

On another note.  We have been busy the past week doing little projects for the entryway.


Things like painting the spindles a new lighter trim color, except you can't even really tell they have been painted.  In the picture the 2 spindles on the right are actually a little bit lighter than the 2 on the left.  Nothing like a 3 hour project that doesn't show any results.


I also had to paint all the trim, which meant 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of white trim paint.  It was a debate as to buy new primed boards that would need to be cut, or spend all the time painting the existing boards.  Even though it took 4 hours to paint, I decided not to waste the perfectly good boards just because I wanted a different color, not to mention it was money not spent.


We also received the new square newel posts from our friend Toby who has been busy putting in many hours making these and the new oak treads for the stairs.

I agreed to stain the pieces, and after 3 hours of staining and 3 more coats to go, I'm wondering why I said I would do it myself.


But the pieces are looking great already.


I still need to attempt to strip the old stain off the railing, so it can match the newly stained posts and stairs.  I have a feeling that it is going to be a very toxic smelly mess.  But we are getting closer to having the project wrapped up!

No comments:

Post a Comment