Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mama

I must admit, I am really aching to hear those words.  At one point Bella was saying mamamama, but she was never directing it at me or anything in particular. 

Now Oliver is at the age that most kids are calling their parents by name.  Oliver is not.  He says mamama and dadada.  But he doesn’t say them to us.  Every time we go to the doctors for a check up they ask us if he is saying words.  He is.  He says ducky, ball, all done.  He has more words that he says, but we aren’t quite sure what they are.  Then they ask, if he isn’t saying mama or dada, does he know who you are if you ask him to do something.  Say will he go to mama, if you ask him to.  So we try that, and he sort of does it.  But then again he is so active that it’s hard to tell if he just doesn’t want to listen, or if he doesn’t know what we are saying.

Yesterday I was getting lunch ready in the kitchen and the kids were playing in the family room.  I was walking towards the bathroom and noticed Oliver was playing with all the stuffed animals in the basket.  He had Bella’s new little baby doll in his hands. 

I said “Oliver do you have Bella’s baby?  You should give it to her to play with”.  And then I continued on my way to the bathroom. 

I was only in there for a couple of minutes (not trying to tell you what I did, but it wasn’t the thing that takes longer, only saying that because it’s sort of important for the story) and when I came out, Oliver was still over by the basket playing with the stuffed animals.  I went over to Bella to pick her up, and sure enough her little baby doll was sitting right by her.  Oliver had listened to me and new exactly what I was saying. 

So in answer to the doctors questions.  I’m pretty sure he knows who mama and dada are and his sister too, but most of the times, he doesn’t really care to do stupid things we ask him just to prove that he knows.  And at some point, I’m sure he will actually call us by name.  And at that point I will probably cry.

001

So tuckered out from his last trip to the doctors that he went immediately to sleep within two blocks of leaving the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment