Thursday, February 28, 2013

Craig's List – I am not a fan as of late

Here is Jesse's mysterious post....back again in all it's glory for everyone to read.

image
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great website to use if you want to get rid of a bunch of crap you no longer want in your house.  Next time you're considering hauling something away or putting it out by the curb to fill up our landfills, I suggest you at a minimum “Craig's list it” under the “free” stuff.  I guarantee someone will come get it.  When we gutted the basement bathroom, I took out the shower/tub unit and put it out by the curb for the trash to come get.  I would have to pay a fee of course, but it’s the convenience.  Well, since I had a week for it to sit there, I decided to take a couple pictures (this thing had not been cleaned) and posted it for $20.  Within an hour I had multiple people interested and drove to our house and loaded it up and hauled it away… and I made money on the deal… not too shabby.  So for instances like these, I do like Craig’s List.
(Disclaimer - I am not trying to throw Kristen under the bus here… just telling a story.  I probably look like the jerk anyways, so let’s proceed)
However, my wife has started a trend that I am not too fond of.  Namely, she’s finding random pieces of furniture (for cheap – so that’s the one positive side), and purchasing them without consult.  She knows better than to ask me, cause we got enough “crap” around here that I cant seem to get things cleared out and put into organized storage. 
Let’s reflect on this past weekend.  I’m vacuuming, because that’s how I like to spend my Saturdays, and push open the door to the sewing/guest bedroom.  This room always frustrates me because we spent all this time renovating old bookshelves and cupboards so that she could have a place to store all of her sewing stuff but things don’t quite make it there or she has bought so much additional stuff that there’s no where for it to go.  This room is a pit and I am seriously getting pissed as I type.  Deep breaths.  OK… so I open the door to vacuum inside that room and two sitting chairs (from a hotel supposedly) greet me.  Just right in the frickin center of the walkway to the room.  It’s time for a “discussion”.
Trying to maintain my calmness (which left me in early childhood I think)… I ask when and where did these come from.  Deep down I hoped that these came from someone we knew, but knew the culprit was Craig's List, I just needed to hear it from her.   “A guy on Craig's list, he delivered them too,…. bla bla bla”  "So let me get this straight… you paid a guy $20 for a couple sitting chairs and he delivered them?… please tell me you inspected them for fleas/bed bugs/urine/etc. because that is probably why he was so eager to get them off his hands.  The inspection was lacking (go figure) but turns out that he allegedly ended up getting these from a hotel and had extra so Kristen wanted to make a project out of them.  So in the end, we have two chairs, that came from God knows where, and are infested with God knows what… sitting in a bedroom of our house… not in the unfinished messy basement where a person could take a dump on the floor and not know for a couple weeks… in a guest bedroom.  Would this disgust anybody else?  So as you can tell, I was not happy whatsoever about the chair purchase and let Kristen know… for about a half hour.  I would like to dispose of them by tossing them out the window onto the concrete below.  Sometimes things can be so random and who knows their history…if it sounds like its too good of a deal… 2 sitting chairs for $20 with delivery… it probably is.
Craig's List – I am not a fan

Jesse

And if you couldn't tell, this is in relation to my new reupholstered chairs. Go here if you haven't seen the finished product yet.

In my defense I did check them out and smell them before I moved them up into the guest bedroom/sewing room.  But I did purposely hide them because I knew Jesse would freak out when he found them.  My hope was the get the whole thing finished before he knew about it....but then he had to go and vacuum in there :-)

2 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I will probably say it over and over, but the reason I love to read this blog is just how completely honest you and Kristen are. You lay it out there and it's so refreshing. This is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse - So, Kristen saved you $640? The way I see it, she paid $10 for each chair, $70 for the fabric, so $80 per chair ($160 for two). To buy this chair in a store, it'd cost about $400 for each on ($800 for both).

    Don't forget that while many dads go to work all day, and many of us mothers stay at home, we have ambitions beyond changing diapers, cleaning the house, and cooking. So we decorate our homes (the same homes we stare at all day when we are home... debating how to make them beautiful and functional in a cost effective way).

    Kristen is super talented with a sewing machine. Most of us couldn't reupholster a chair if we took a class on it. $80 was an outlet for creativity, the satisfaction of making something that looks great in your home, and a finished, nice piece of furniture. Sounds like a bargain to me.

    I hope this doesn't sound grouchy... Just another perspective for you.

    ReplyDelete