Friday, February 12, 2010

Sometimes people rub you the wrong way


Bella and I went on an errand this afternoon. As we entered the parking lot I noticed it was pretty full. We have had a handicap sticker for Bella for about 6 months now. We only use it when she is with us. I would have to say that it's one of the "perks" that comes with Bella.
So I spied the only free handicap spot and turned into that lane. I noticed that another car was waiting to make a left turn into that lane and they also had a handicap sticker.
Now I know I probably should have let that person have the spot, they could have been some really old lady who could hardly walk. But I took it. It's cold outside and I didn't have Bella all bundled up (she hates that), I wanted a closer spot so that she wouldn't have to be so cold as we went into the store.
The lady in the other handicap car, glared at me as she waited in her car behind mine. I'm not sure if she thought I was going to pull out of the spot? I parked the car and hung up the handicap sticker and got out.
The lady quickly pulled into another spot (only 3 spaces down) and hurriedly runs over to me and says "Do you have a wheelchair sticker?"
To which I replied "My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and can't even hold up her head yet. I would love to carry her into the store and use a cart, but instead I have to put her in her stroller and awkwardly carry around all my items in my hand, because she can't sit in the front of a cart. What do you think? And while your at it....what type of handicap do you have that allows you to quickly walk over here before I have even gotten the stroller out of the back of my vehicle?
Okay so that's a lie, I didn't say any of that. I just said I have a handicap daughter and she replied that she was just tired of people stealing her spot that didn't have a sticker.
But if I could go back in time I might just decide to tell her off!

No comments:

Post a Comment