Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Day in the Run

This morning seemed to be one very long morning and I was very nervous to perform two activities I didn’t want to do – be interviewed and run a 5k.

8am – we arrived at the race and found the PR people who were going to show us to the interview.  And we found out the interview was going to be LIVE!  Exactly what I didn’t want to happen. 

8:18am – Our live interview with Fox4, which included a bunch of “umm umm umm”.  The interview was for a 2 1/2 minute spot, which actually seems like a lot of time when the questions are kind of repetitive.

8:20am – They taped a segment to be aired on the 5 o’clock news.  I’m not sure how long they will have the link up, but here it is for now. http://fox4kc.com/2012/01/29/groundhog-run-raises-money-for-children/  It’s not pretty.  The main question I am asking myself “What was up with the eye closes?”

9:00am – Race starts (all time after this is approximate)

Mile 0.0 – Didn’t get my MP3 player hooked on correctly, it’s dangling down between by legs, swinging as I run.  I have to find it and grab it.  Pretty sure I looked really cool doing that.  Good thing the start is so packed and tight, most people didn’t see me.

Mile 1 – Doing great, can’t believe how good I feel.  I start thinking about how I am actually going to get to blog about finishing the whole race without walking for the first time.

Mile 1.2 – Shoe comes untied.  I have to make it over to the side of the course and stop to tie it.  Noting that even though my shoe never comes untied, I should probably double knot it during a race just to be safe.

Mile 1.4 – Running behind an older couple.  Guy totally trips on some uneven pavement right in front and me and goes down hard (slamming his face into the pavement).  I stop to make sure he is okay, and luckily there is an attendant in a golf cart that comes over immediately.  So I take back off, you know at my really fast pace!

Mile 1.7 – Wondering why I sign up for these races, I hate running.  Not feeling so hot anymore.  Pretty sure Jesse has finished the race already.  If I just keep running I can finish sooner, but it hurts.

Mile 2.0 – Can’t breathe, stop to walk.

Mile 2.3 – Start running again.  Start looking around at all the people running at my pace.  I’m very judgmental as I note I’m with mostly older people, people with quite a bit of extra weight, people running with their 7 year old sons or daughters, finally spot a hot chick…I’m doing okay.

Mile 2.9 – Really hating this run.  Really want to stop and walk but know I’m nearing the end and I can probably make it.  Don’t want to be seen finishing the race by walking.

Mile 3.1 – Finish the race.  Thank God I made it.  Glad to be done with another one.

5 hours later – looking up the next races.  Got to do something to keep me motivated to work out.  Still haven’t decided if I want to try the St. Patty’s run, the costumes are kind of making me want to try it.  But would need to find someone to watch the kids, unless Jesse doesn’t participate with me.  I better figure it out soon.

3 comments:

  1. Bella took all the attention don't worry about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you did great in the clip! And great job running!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interview was great, and I loved seeing the video of the preschool. What sweet kids!

    p.s. The news station should have included a link on their website to donate to the cause.

    ReplyDelete