Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year a New You

Isn’t that what everyone hopes for, that’s why we all set New Year’s Resolutions to be better.

I feel like I have a million different resolutions.  Some are obvious.

1.  Lose Weight (or more specifically lose the 6 pounds I have put on during the no holds bar holiday season-how does that even happen? and then lose 6 more pounds to get me to my happy weight)

2.  Get more organized.  In fact we spent the past couple of days organizing different areas of the house and we have a bunch more to do.

3.  Get our priorities in line.  If you remember Jesse and I asked ourselves some questions as to what we felt was the most important things to focus on in this post here, and then we didn’t do anything about it.  But cooking healthy was one of the top things that will get more attention this year.  Oh…Jesse thought I was going to say cleaning…that’s too bad!

Some are big picture items.

1.  Figure out a better balance for me.  I have touched on this subject and have been doing some thinking and planning.  I will let you know more as I get things lined up.  It might take a leap of faith, but I need to act more and think/complain less.

2.  This is the year of “the house”.  Meaning we are planning on sinking a bunch of money and time into the house to get some of the projects finished up.  And I do mean sink money into it.

Our foundation wall has been sinking in one corner of the house.  We had a company come out and they confirmed one corner has settled 2”.  We knew it was bad, I mean you could tell when walking in this area that you were leaning, and we had drywall cracks all over. 

Looks like we will have to fix it, something to the tune of $12,000 or so.  $$Cha-ching.  Our biggest and spendiest projects so far on this house have been replacing the sewer system and now fixing the foundation.  Exciting huh?

In other big ticket news, our oven has broken.  One would normally just replace the oven or try and get it fixed.  I hate the oven.  I love the double oven feature, but it’s a super skinny apartment size width oven.  I believe I have mentioned before that some of my baking sheets and pans don’t fit into it.  So if I’m going to replace it, I would buy a normal size oven.  That snowballs into a whole new kitchen.  Yeah for me…I really want a new kitchen.  Boo for Jesse….he really doesn’t want to work on this project. 

And we have to start working on Bella’s bedroom.  It is getting hard for family members to carry her upstairs.  It is starting to limit our choices in babysitters also.  Not that we have many sitters, but usually we try and have the kids to bed before we leave so they don’t have to worry about it.

And this leads me straight into my next topic.

Last night was New Year’s Eve.  We had plans to go over to a friends house, with the kids along, since we couldn’t find a sitter.  In the end we had to bail.  Bella was a fussy mess all day long and we didn’t want to risk the kids not being able to fall asleep at a house they have never been at, and us being up late and then having to be up early (5:30 am with a short wakeup at 2am to be exact). 

Jesse and I stayed home.  Both kids were in bed by 7:30 and we looked at each other and said….now what?  Should we watch a movie..no.  Play a game…no.  In the end we ended up sharing a bottle of wine (mostly me) and talking.

When discussing what our biggest obstacles to being happy were…Jesse’s thought was the house and mine was Bella.  These are our two biggest challenges we face.  Always having to work on the house and always having to take care of Bella.  Both of these things add a huge amount of stress to our relationship.  And apart from selling our house, there really isn’t too much we can do about either one.

So this is where we have decided on ramping up and working on more of the house to try and get some things tackled (and make Jesse’s to-do list seem more manageable).

And.

3.  Finding a sitter and actually using them to take care of Bella (and Oliver) so we can get a break.  You know if we had been in this very same situation say 5-10 years ago, when Bella turned 5 we would have had assistance to build her a bedroom and handicapped accessible bathroom and we would have had a respite care provider who would have come over to take care of Bella and give us a break on a weekly basis. 

Because we live when we do and all the states and federal government are in a deficit, we are on a waiting list that at best chance gets us help when she is 13 years old.  So 8 years down the road her bedroom and bathroom will definitely be done, but maybe we can get help with a sitter if we are lucky.  So we need to step it up and buck up the money so we can get some sanity and time to be together.

I think that about sums up my New Year’s Resolutions.  Here’s to a successful New Year for everyone!

And for a little reminiscing since I figured most years there was a picture of the two of us in Husker gear.

011005

005

2009 huskers photo

2008 husker photo

2007 Huskers fill-inhusker photo 2006

2005 husker photo

2004 christmas

2003 huskers photo

No comments:

Post a Comment