Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Family Room Fireplace Project #2

When we first moved into the house, the family room was a dark and depressing room.  It didn’t help that our couches were chocolate brown which blended into the paneling.
We first decided to paint the room and I added a pop of white on the back of the bookcases.
While it helped improve the room.  The back wall/fireplace has always continued to look so dark and out of place.  In fact it made it look like this room was located in a basement.
057
So I decided to take the plunge and paint the fireplace, plus add a bright pop of color.
002007
It started to look a little scary, but I kept going with the crazy scheme.  And we got to this.
004002003
And since it’s labeled Project #2, and not a finished project, you can easily spot what hasn’t been finished.  The whole hearth needs to be refinished.  The plan for now is to tile the top and add white wood paneling to the side.  Maybe that will be a good winter project.  Or you might not see a change for years to come, it’s hard to know around here.  I do think a trip to the store to buy some fun blue accents is in order.  You know to blend the colors better.  And I have plans to make some pillow covers, and dreams of new curtains.  I also want to refinish the kitchen table and chairs to coordinate.  I think I might have just scared my husband.
But for now it seems like a good improvement to me. 
001

1 comment:

  1. I think it looks great! You are a brave soul. I would never be able to pick two bright colors and make it work.

    At the bottom of posts, it puts other posts "you might also like:" and your pic of you in your geometric maxi skirt looks like it could have been your inspiration.

    Great job!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete