Sunday, August 12, 2012

Resolutions

I had a resolution this year that I would not buy any new clothes.  Instead I planned to sew clothes for myself, recreate clothes out of things I already owned, and well, just not buy new things that I really didn’t need.

I did fairly well with this resolution.  And then, it got to summer, and I hadn’t bought new shorts for years.  It has been over 100 degrees for months here, and well I really needed to have shorts.  So I bought shorts.  And not one or two pairs like I should have, but more like 6 pairs of workout shorts and 6 pairs of jean/cotton shorts.  Ummm, in other words I went a little crazy.  I also bought a few new dresses and shirts while I was at it.  So I guess I could say I made it half a year with this resolution.  I did though make quite a few clothes for myself, I guess you could say it’s been a little bit of a selfish year for me with sewing.  One of the last things I made before tearing down the sewing room was this mini skirt that I wore in Vegas.

photo (21)

The great thing about a mini skirt is that it is super simple and quick to make.  The bad thing, I don’t really have a lot of opportunities to wear a mini skirt in my normal day to day life.  Here are a few more pictures from Vegas, in case you were curious.

photo (20)photo (25)

Here was the crazy pool where we drank $10 beers, listened to a DJ play music all day long, gawk at all the women dressed up in bikinis and high heels who didn’t even step a foot into the pool, and well in general had a good time.  We of course were in the pool getting wet, hey we’re Midwestern, a pool is for swimming.

013

Here was another dress I made specifically for the trip.  I purchased some bargain fabric in a fun color. Although together it looks like we should be attending a Christmas party, instead of seeing the Thunder Down Under.  I did mention this was a bachelorette weekend, right?  This dress cost me $6 total (not counting my time to actually sew it).

photo (26)

I’m not super thrilled with how it turned out.  I used a pattern and I like the pattern, but I think I cut some of the pieces a couple sizes too big.  I would like to make another dress, this time with a sturdier fabric and actually cut to size, and probably a longer hem so I can actually wear it around here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment